Magnesium is one of the most abundant minerals in body. Approximately 60 percent is found in bones and teeth, about 27 percent is found in the muscles, while the rest is found in the tissues and blood.
Magnesium is also needed for proper nerve and muscle function. It is involved in the formation of bones and teeth, the clotting of blood, and the regulation of heart rhythm. It also promotes muscle relaxation and assists in calcium and potassium uptake.
Relieve PMS (premenstrual syndrome) discomforts. Magnesium levels have been shown to be lower in women with PMS than those who do not suffer from this condition. In fact, one double-blind study found that magnesium supplementation - 200 milligrams per day alleviated PMS symptoms such as abdominal bloating, weight gain, breast tenderness, and swelling of upper extremities.
In addition, this workhorse mineral may be beneficial in physical and emotional stress, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, premenstrual tension, and restless leg syndrome.
Lastly, studies have shown that women taking magnesium supplements during pregnancy can have a huge effect in reducing birth defects. For example, a study reported by the Journal of the American Medical Association indicated that there was a 70% lower incidence of mental retardation in children of mothers who had taken magnesium supplements during their pregnancy. In addition, the incidence of cerebral palsy was lower - 90%. Moreover, some experts state that it can help prevent premature labor.
Signs of Deficiency
A magnesium deficiency can cause many different symptoms, which include irritability; muscle cramps, spasms, and weakness; agitation and anxiety; fatigue; nausea and vomiting; insomnia; abnormal heart rhythms; confusion; and hyperventilation.
Magnesium supplements should be balanced with an increase intake of calcium or calcium supplements to achieve the maximum benefits of both nutrients.
People with kidney problems and heart disease should not use magnesium supplements unless instructed by a physician.
There are many drugs that appear to adversely affect magnesium status and, as such, it is recommended that if you are taking any prescription medications to speak to a physician. In fact, it is advised that you speak to a physician before adding any dietary supplements.
The most common side effect of magnesium is diarrhea and loose stools.
Tips on Choosing a Magnesium Product
1. As we mentioned earlier, magnesium should be balanced with calcium to achieve the maximum benefits of both nutrients. Calcium, on the other hand, needs vitamin D to be absorbed.
As such, we believe that you should take your magnesium supplement as part of a comprehensive scientifically balanced formula for optimal vibrant health. Exception: If your physician has recommended a stand-alone magnesium supplement.
2. When selecting a magnesium product, choose magnesium citrate because it's the form that the body absorbs the best. While magnesium oxide is often the cheapest form available, it's also the most poorly absorbed form.
3. Select a supplement from pharmaceutical GMP compliant facilities, which adhere to very stringent manufacturing standards. This is CRUCIAL because supplements are unregulated in the U.S. and consumers only have a 1 in 5 chance of buying a product that contains the amount of ingredients stated on the label or one that does not harbor contaminates.
4. Look for products that are formulated by someone who is qualified to create a supplement with ingredients that work in balance and synergistically to offer the maximum results.
5. Be sure to select products that do not contain any artificial flavors, colors, sweeteners, yeast, sucrose, dextrose or gluten etc.
Featured Comprehensive Product
Looking for high quality magnesium products?
One company that meets the above requirements -- and more -- is Xtend-Life Natural Products from New Zealand. Their flagship product called Total Balance contains a broad spectrum of over 70 specialized nutrients that the body needs for optimum 'whole' body health, including magnesium citrate, along with amino acids, potent antioxidants, specialty nutrients, herbal extracts, enzymes, vitamins, and other minerals.
All of the ingredients are scientifically combined in a synergistic way to enhance and maximize the efficacy of each other.
We have been taking Total Balance for several years now and can personally attest to its excellent results such as significantly more energy, vitality, and an improved sense of well being.
To Your Health!
Much more than Magnesium Supplements can be found at our Mineral Supplement web-page