Bee Propolis Benefits
All about bee propolis benefits……
Bee Propolis - often referred to as "bee glue" is a popular health product in Europe and it's climbing the supplemental charts in North America as it is becoming better known.
Considered one of nature's miracles, propolis is the resinous substance that bees gather from the leaf buds and bark of trees, especially poplar and conifer trees. Once collected, the bees transport the propolis back to their hives, where they are met by other colleagues (worker bees) to help them unload this precious substance. Once unloaded, the worker bees add salivary secretions and wax flakes, then spread the finished product throughout the beehive walls where they construct and maintain their hives. Hence the name - "bee glue."
However, propolis does more than glue the walls together and maintains the beehive. Researchers discovered that it prevents disease in the colony by inhibiting the growth of fungi, viruses, bacteria and other microbes. In fact, some Naturopaths point out that it is one of the most powerful topical antimicrobial agents humans can use.
Bee Propolis Benefits
How can it benefit you?
Propolis contains protein, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and flavonoids. As such, some people take bee propolis as a general nutritional health supplement for optimal health.
It appears that bee propolis harbors both antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects. It has been used in the past internally to combat bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and viral infections like tuberculosis, candidiasis, malaria, and colds.
In Europe, bee propolis is commonly used for the treatment of peptic ulcers and ulcerative colitis. It is thought to have a healing effect on internal digestive organs, including the stomach and intestines because the flavonoids harbor anti-inflammatory properties.
Other Possible Bee Propolis Benefits:
1. Infections – It is believed that its antimicrobial effects can defend the body against bacteria, fungus, viruses, and parasites.
2. Wound Healing – Good results have been reported on the use of this product on burns, surgical wounds, and other topical wounds. (Applied topically.)
3. Antioxidants- The flavonoids act as antioxidants.
4. Herpes – A study found that an ointment made of propolis is able to heal genital herpetic lesions.
5. Immune System- Enhances the immune system
6. Liver Health- A few laboratory studies found that propolis may have positive effects on the liver by protecting it from alcohol or environmental toxins.
7. Dental Conditions – Holds promise for dental conditions like gingivitis, mouth ulcers, and periodontal disease.
Precautions and Propolis Side Effects
Now that we've discussed bee propolis benefits, let's go over side effects and precautions ….
If you are allergic to bee pollen, honey, conifer trees, or poplar trees, it is not recommended that you use this product.
Allergic reactions include wheezing, headache, itchy throat, hives, or skin flushing. Discontinue use immediately if these symptoms develop.
Severe allergic reactions are possible and can be very serious, requiring immediate emergency medical attention. This includes anaphylactic shock, which can be fatal. In fact, discontinue use right away if you develop any side effects after taking a bee product.
If you have asthma or an allergy to bee stings exercise extreme caution in taking any bee products.
Propolis is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women because there is not enough information in this area.
Tips on Choosing a Bee Propolis Supplement
To maximize your bee propolis benefits we recommend the following:
1. Select a supplement that is formulated by a company that follows strict pharmaceutical GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) compliance.
Because dietary supplements are not strictly regulated in the U.S. and, as such, manufacturers do not have to guarantee the safety, effectiveness, or even the true content of their products.
The result is that you, as the consumer only have a 1 in 5 chance of buying a product that contains what is stated on the label or one that does not harbor harmful contaminates
Facilities that are pharmaceutical GMP compliant adhere to stringent regulatory standards.
2. Select a supplement that does not contain any fillers or additives such as sucrose (sugar), starch, gluten, silica (sand) or any other artificial colors, dyes, or flavors.
3. Contact the manufacture and inquire if they have a Certificate of Analysis (COA) on file, confirming the potency of each batch. If the company does not get back to you that's not a good sign.
Interested in improving your health with an all-in-one highly sophisticated comprehensive multi-nutrient product containing a full spectrum of over 70 ingredients, including vitamins, minerals, potent antioxidants, amino acids, specialty nutrients, herbal extracts, and enzymes that we the editors take ourselves after years of extensive research?
Click here to learn What We Take.
Other Bee Products of Interest
Bee Pollen--Considered "Nature's Perfect Food" that contains all the nutrients needed to sustain life. Discover the benefits of this amazing substance. You may be surprise what this health supplement has to offer.
Royal Jelly--Royal Jelly is a concentrated food that is rich in nutrients, which indeed shows evidence by the queen bees superior size, astounding ovulation, stamina, and longevity. Learn all about its health benefits.
We hope this webpage discussing bee propolis benefits was useful to you.
To Your Health!
Much more than Bee Propolis benefits can be found at out Health Supplement Guide webpage