Resveratrol is a compound found rich in the skin of red grapes and it is also found in red wine, red grape juice,
mulberries, and in smaller amounts in peanuts. More specifically, it is a naturally protective compound produced by grapes and other plants in response to external environmental stresses such as insect attacks, pathogens, weather shocks, etc.
Scientists became aroused with curiosity about exploring the health benefits of resveratrol when its presence was reported in red wine, leading to the speculation that this compound might be the probable answer to the "French paradox." The "French paradox" is a well known phenomenon that the French who eat a relatively high fat diet and who smoke cigarettes have a low incidence of heart disease. The connection here is that the French frequent the consumption of red wine.
How Can it Benefit You?
1. It is a powerhouse antioxidant – Antioxidants are compounds that help protect the body from cellular damage caused by free radicals if left unchecked. The body needs antioxidants because with every breath you take you generate free radicals, which are highly reactive substances that can attack and damage cells. As such, many experts believe that free radicals are major factors leading to more than sixty different health problems including aging, cancer, and atherosclerosis.
2. Cancer-preventing agent - Animal studies suggest that this powerhouse substance has the unique ability to battle cancer at all three steps of the cancer process: initiation, promotion, and progression.
3. Cardiovascular health - This nutrient has been shown to reduce the clumping of blood platelets and, as such, it may reduce the risk of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). In addition, it has shown to help lower (LDL) bad cholesterol levels. As such, it may be a powerful substance in promoting cardiovascular health by preventing cardiovascular disease through these heart protective effects.
At the time of this writing, there are no known drug interactions or side effects with resveratrol. However, you should always consult a physician before taking any dietary supplements.
While we do understand that red wine harbors these promising health benefits, we here at Nutritional-Supplement-Educational-Centre do not recommend that one should begin to drink wine on a daily bases. In short, red wine contains alcohol that poses health risks, including liver damage and physical addiction. We believe a much safer and healthier choice to get resveratrol's benefits is through taking supplements.
The overall potential health benefits of resveratrol look very promising. However, more studies need to be conducted on humans to confirm similar results. On the other hand, it does appear to be a potent substance. In fact, in addition to all of the aforementioned possible benefits, it has been shown to even increase the lifespan of yeast, worms, and fruit flies.
Tips on Choosing a Supplement
1. Select a supplement produced at pharmaceutical standard registered facilities.
Because dietary supplements are not strictly regulated in the U.S. and, as such, manufacturers do not have to guarantee the safety, effectiveness, or even the true content of their products.
The result is that you, as the consumer only have a 1 in 5 chance of buying a product that contains what is stated on the label or one that does not harbor harmful contaminates.
Facilities that are pharmaceutical GMP compliant adhere to stringent regulatory standards.
2. Select a supplement that does not contain any fillers or additives such as sucrose (sugar), starch, gluten, silica (sand) or any other artificial colors, dyes, or flavors.
3. This nutrient is very sensitive and is damaged by stomach acid and, as such, to preserve its activity it MUST be released in the upper intestine NOT the stomach. Therefore, the tablet must be enteric coated. Enteric coating protects the tablet as it passes thru the stomach acid and into the upper intestine, where the coating dissolves and the nutrient is maximally absorbed to nourish your cells and organs.
4. Select a natural version of this nutrient which is called trans-reservatrol. The synthetic version is called cis-reservatrol.
5. Select a supplement that has a Certificate of Analysis on file for each batch of product produced. In short, this procedure confirms the potency of ingredients used.
One company that produces a resveratrol product that meets all of the above requirements and more is Xtend-Life Natural Products.
Their flagship product called Total Balance is the most highly sophisticated comprehensive and complete nutritional supplement we have uncovered to date.
For example, it has over 70 specialized nutrients, including trans-resveratrol and other anti-aging and heart health nutrients.
More specifically, Total Balance is an all-in-one supplement that contains a complex array of specialized nutrients (over 70), including vitamins, minerals, enzymes, potent antioxidants, herbal extracts, amino acids, and specialty nutrients that the body needs for optimal 'whole' body health. In addition, Total Balance is enteric coated to protect all of these ingredients against stomach acids and to ensure maximum bio-availability.
We here at Nutritional-Supplement-Educational-Centre have been taking Total Balance for several years now and can personally attest to its excellent results such as an increase in energy levels, mental clarity, and an increase feeling of well-being.
To Your Health!
Much more than Resveratrol can be found at our Health Supplement Guide webpage